Hi! 👋 I’m Chris Lovejoy.
My story so far:
- 2011-2017: Studied Medicine at Cambridge University, dabbling in research, statistics and teaching
- 2017-2019: Worked as a doctor and at a healthtech start-up (at intersection of health and data science)
- 2019-2021: Did a master’s degree in machine learning and worked in industry as a data scientist
- 2021-2022: Started my own start-up, raised investment
- 2023: Left that start-up, now building something new and freelancing (building AI models using health data)
Longer Version (reverse chronological)
Bottom-Up Entrepreneurship (Jan 2023 - Now)
My focus right now is on building things in public. I switched my focus from “top-down” to “ground-up” entrepreneurship. I’m dividing my time between freelancing and building fun projects that I hope can become businesses.
Top-Down Entrepreneurship (Sept 2021 - Dec 2022)
In 2021, I started a company to accelerate the transition towards patient-owned health data, and the benefits that would enable. We received financial investment and support from Entrepreneur First, AAVE, Oasis Labs, amongst others. I gave it a good go, learnt a lot but ultimately stopped working on the project in December. One limiting factor was that the current ecosystem for decentralised storage of data is still maturing (and not really ready for the challenges health data storage presents).
Deep-dive Machine Learning (Aug 2019 - Aug 2021)
I did a Master’s Degree in Data Science and Machine Learning at University College London. I wanted to explore my interest in maths, plus build a more concrete skillset outside of clinical medicine. I absolutely loved it, and ended up scoring well. My favourite modules were Natural Language Processing, Computational Biology and Reinforcement Learning.
I also worked various roles in industry as a data scientist and machine learning engineer.
I decided to share my learnings as I went along, which ended up as an online course, various articles and with me becoming a lecturer at UCL and later at Imperial College London.
Doctoring and Beyond (Aug 2017 - Aug 2019)
I worked as a doctor in London from 2017 and gained full registration and license to practice. I wasn’t fully satisfied with medicine, so did some high-speed career sampling. During this period, I also:
- led a small team at Cera Care and built a predictive AI model (for clinical deterioration), which helped us raise £54 million.
- completed an MBA with the Quantic School of Business and Technology
- wrote and published a book for sharing experiences, reflections and advice for learning medicine (Gumroad, Amazon, Waterstones)
Studying Medicine and Experimenting (Sept 2011 - Aug 2017)
I studied Medicine at the University of Cambridge (UK) from 2011 until 2017. I experimented a bunch outside this, including:
- Playing basketball for the university 1st and 2nd teams
- Acting in a few plays at the Cambridge University Amateur Dramatic Club
Reach out at email@example.com. If you’re ever in London, we can grab a coffee.